Tyre mismatch vs rotation

When choosing tyres for a Clio RS (or any FWD sport hatch really) would it make sense to put gripper tyres on the front vs the back?

For example a Michelin PS 4S on the front and PS4 on rear? And then just replace the front tyres as they wear out and leave the rears alone until they eventually wear?

Or would it be better to just have the same set and rotate front to rear until they wear out at the same time?

I had PS4 and PS5 on my Clio3 and I was getting ESC intervention mid corner. Swapped to PS5 all round and no more issues

• Like 1

Yep would always go for matching tyres, personally. If looking for different handling on track, wouldn’t it be better to adjust tyre pressures or anti roll bars?

• Like 1

Had the same thought last week, needed new front tyres , but back had plenty  of tread left but were  7 years old from date of manufacture. in the end I had fitted  4 new tyres.

the cost of 2 new 205/40r18  vs 4 khumo ps71  225/35r18  @ $718.00  fitted worked out to be a  better deal in the end

• 2 weeks later...

Best to rotate once or twice, time it so all four wear down the same time. 

But if you are squeezed for dollars and elect the suboptimal route of two tyres only, new ones always go on the rear. If you're going to mismatch the grip and upset the balance, better to have it understeer on you and have you hit with the front and the airbags than have the rear step out and hit the thing sideways. 

On 25/06/2024 at 8:29 PM, Andersm said:

Best to rotate once or twice, time it so all four wear down the same time. 

But if you are squeezed for dollars and elect the suboptimal route of two tyres only, new ones always go on the rear. If you're going to mismatch the grip and upset the balance, better to have it understeer on you and have you hit with the front and the airbags than have the rear step out and hit the thing sideways. 

I agree with replacing all 4, but given the choice in a fwd car I would prefer the sticker rubber on the front , at least you can then accelerate  out of an oversteer  situation . Crashing is not an option

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, havingfun said:

I agree with replacing all 4, but given the choice in a fwd car I would prefer the sticker rubber on the front , at least you can then accelerate  out of an oversteer  situation . Crashing is not an option

No one is thinking straight enough or realistically possessing the skills of Colin McCrae to be doing such things.

What you really want is for it to not break away in snap oversteer and spin out when you’re taking evasive actions at speed to swerve around the car that’s pulled out on you or the kid that road it’s bike out in front. Especially important on front drive cars that tend to be lighter in the rear.

New tyres on the back. 

"What you really want is for it to not break away in snap oversteer and spin out when you’re taking evasive actions at speed to swerve around the car that’s pulled out on''

As I said I would choose to fit 4 new tyres ( this is what I did ) as its the wife's car.

"Better to have it understeer on you and have you hit with the front and the airbags than have the rear step out" I suppose the kid on the bike is expendable "or what ever else is in your way

snap oversteer is certainly possible but you won't SWERVING if the car is understeering straight into what  you are  wanting to avoid. Or  understeering straight into the kid on a bike .

Anyway I know I am not Collin Mcrae ( and don't profess to be) . I do have an understanding of what I and the car can do, and drive on the road well under those constraints and keep my more aggressive driving to the track.

I realise everyone has different skill levels of driving. These days it seems getting a drivers licence  is all about passing at test , not actually being able to control a vehicle. 

On 28/06/2024 at 8:18 PM, Andersm said:

No one is thinking straight enough or realistically possessing the skills of Colin McCrae to be doing such things.

What you really want is for it to not break away in snap oversteer and spin out when you’re taking evasive actions at speed to swerve around the car that’s pulled out on you or the kid that road it’s bike out in front. Especially important on front drive cars that tend to be lighter in the rear.

New tyres on the back. 

Tell @Matt205 that. 🤣

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Rule is normally put the fresh tyres on the back

On 14/06/2024 at 10:54 PM, KTR0N said:

When choosing tyres for a Clio RS (or any FWD sport hatch really) would it make sense to put gripper tyres on the front vs the back?

For example a Michelin PS 4S on the front and PS4 on rear? And then just replace the front tyres as they wear out and leave the rears alone until they eventually wear?

If you can tell the difference between a PS4 and a PS4S you are likley a very good driver, the kind that would wear out the fronts faster than the rears, so I would throw the new ones on the front. I would do this for my car, but would put new tyres on the rear for my wife or mother.

Or would it be better to just have the same set and rotate front to rear until they wear out at the same time?

This is what I do with my cars, I keep an eye on wear and swap them accordingly. From as far back as I can remember I have always replaced all 4 at once. Ideally you want even tyres all round.